The long cardigan is a wardrobe piece that is an essential in my closet! This cozy, slouchy outerwear has the versatility of being able to be worn most of the year! I reach for mine whenever I want to add a little drama with a long layer. I love how the long open front draws the eye vertical, which is so flattering! Below are a few tips for styling a long cardigan throughout the seasons.
The long cardigan I’m wearing here is from Madewell and is a hero piece in the cold weather. I wore it on a trip to Boulder, CO this winter and stayed cozy and warm in freezing temperatures! The key is to styling this is to avoid bulk underneath it. Turn to a thin merino wool to wear under if you need extra warmth!
- Style it with leather leggings, real or faux, and a lace trimmed camisole (love this one too) for sexy layers that will elevate the look.
- An oversized long cardigan paired with skinny destroyed denim is also a go-to for a casual, effortless outfit. Adding a smooth silk camisole will give you some unexpected contrast.
- For extra drama, you can also belt it as a dress! Try either a statement belt or I love this leopard belt!
- Wear black tailored pants, loafers and a classic striped shirt (how cute is this tee with cartoon eyes!) for a cozy layered look that you will love!
A long cardigan is the perfect transitional layer for spring and fall months. You can do this with a light knit or a lighter weight fabric, such as cotton or soft poly/viscose blend. Styling options are endless here!
- Denim shorts (grab these before they are sold out! This brand is HOT now!) with a white t-shirt and booties will give you an effortless look. Change to these must have sneakers for a more casual feel.
- A short dress hem will look perfectly styled under it! Silk or cotton for your shirt, to contrast the knit again and stay away from bulk. Sneakers will give you a fun and interesting outfit!
- Wear a light cotton style as a swim coverup. You can then, belt it with a tasseled belt and add low block-heel slides (I love the blue color!)and your ready for lunch by the pool in style!
- Choose an all white look with a light grey, long cardigan. Pair that with some classic, neutral stiletto heels and a structured bag to give you a polished look. You can do this with any monochome colored outfit. Contrasting with a different color for the outerwear will just give you an extra interesting look!
Thank you for reading! Do you love a long cardigan as much as I do? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
I am wearing here: Long Cardigan // Lace Cami // Leather Pants // Disc Necklace // Bar Necklace // Earrings // Loafers // Tote Bag
Photography by: Cathy Suno
Follow us on Pinterest and Blogloviń for more Style inspiration and current trend updates!